What to Bring and Expect
What to Bring With You
Before heading to the Emergency Deparmtent, take a few minutes to gather information and items that will make your visit go smoothly and allow time to pass more easily. We recommend bringing:
- A family member or friend: Having someone with you can be emotionally comforting. If your condtion is serious, you may need someone to provide information or instructions on your behalf.
- Identification Cards: Driver's License, Social Security Card and insurance card(s). Insurance information is not required until before you're discharged.
- A list of medications and dosage: This information will help the medical staff avoid prescribing drugs that will interact with medication(s) you're already taking.
- Primary care physician information: Contact information for your primary care physician is helpful should questions arise.
- A book or magazine: Reading can make time go by more quickly. However, we do ask that you refrain from bringing valuables like iPods, cell phones or laptops.
What to Expect when you get here
- Arrival: When you arrive at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, please use the front Emergency Services entrance, which is located on the first floor. A greeter will meet you to guide you to the next step in our process - Nurse First. Our goal is for you to be in a treatment area within 20 minutes.
- Treatment Team: You'll be treated by a specially trained Emergency Medical Team, including an Emergency Department Physician, one or two Registered Nurses and an ER Technician. Your medical team will not only complete the more thorough registration, they will keep you informed throughout the process and may initiate standard procedures to accelerate your care.
- Discharge: You will receive written instructions during the discharge processs. Please read the instructions prior to signing so that staff can clarify any concerns you may have and be sure to follow up with your physician. You may receive a discharge telephone call from an ED team member a day or so after your visit.
We offer free parking for your convenience adjacent to the front Emergency Services entrance.