Our goal is to make your stay here as pleasant as possible. We have listed a few things to assist in our care for you.
Parking: Two parking spaces have been designated for the Sleep Center in front of the Emergency Room entrance.
Cell Phone: Please turn off/silence cells phones, pagers and Blackberries during the sleep recording.
- Make-up, creams, lotions and hair products may interfere with the quality of the recording. Please make every effort to remove make-up/creams and hair products prior to your arrival. A Pulse Oximeter probe will be used to monitor your blood oxygen levels. This is a crucial component to your study and it is vital for producing an accurate reading. If you have fake fingernails and/or painted nails, then please arrive with at least one nail free of any cosmetic applications.
- Multiple EEG electrodes will be placed upon your skull and a conductive paste will be applied to record your brain waves. The conductive paste is sticky but does wash out with hot water. Wigs will need to be addressed before your sleep study. The EEG electrodes must make contact directly to your scalp.
- You must be able to speak and write English in order to perform this test. If you cannot, please be sure to bring someone who will stay with you throughout the study that can speak English.
- If you normally take medicines at bedtime for medical conditions, sleep or pain, please bring them and take them as you normally would. Arrive at the sleep laboratory between 8:00 and 9:00 p.m.; do not come earlier as the technician needs time to prepare. The lab can be contacted at 301-774-8736 if you are arriving late.
Rooms: Each patient has a separate room with a queen size bed and a television. If you are too hot or too cold, please let us know so we may adjust your thermostat, or get you a blanket or a fan. You are also welcome to bring your own pillow and comforter if this will improve your quality of sleep. There will be a sleep technician monitoring your sleep from another room throughout the night.
Pajamas: Please bring along a pair of pajamas that include a bottom and a top. Electrodes are also placed on your legs, chest and rib cage. A pair of loose fitting pajamas will make the set-up process easier. If bed wetting or incontinence is a concern, please be sure to bring appropriate protective garments.
Wake-Up Time: You will be awakened at 6:00 a.m. (Unless another time is pre-arranged). Please be aware that the technician will be applying paste to the electrodes in your hair the night before. This paste can be removed with hot water and washing in the morning.
Payment: Your insurance will be verified before your appointment and any copay, coinsurance or deductible will need to be paid at the time of your appointment or you may call in and speak to Joanne Chandler for arrangements or payment by phone before your appointment. CHECK or CREDIT CARD only; no cash accepted.
- Written results of your study will be sent to your referring MD usually within 1-2 weeks.
- If you are meeting with Dr. Miller following your sleep study, the study will have likely been scored. However, the actual report may not yet have been generated.