Questions about the Scholarship Program?
- Send an email to the committee
- Call and leave a voicemail at 301-774-8840
The Women's Board 2017 Scholarship Program
The application process is NOW OPEN and will close on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 5 p.m.
The Women’s Board Scholarship Program supports students pursuing a degree in the health care field. When reviewing candidates, the scholarship committee considers the applicant’s academic achievement, extracurricular activities, community participation, financial need, references, personal statement and experience in the health care field.
Criteria for Scholarship Selection
- Recipient must be a resident of the state of Maryland.
- Recipient must be a United States citizen.
- Recipient must be seeking a degree in a nursing, medical or related health care field.
- A non-working recipient must maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours per term for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours per term for graduate students.
- We strongly encourage volunteer participation with the Women’s Board, including working at the Annual Picnic and Bazaar and/or the Thrift Shop. Learn more about our volunteer opportunities.
Guidelines for Scholarship Funds
- Scholarships will be applied to student’s tuition, room, board, books and fees only.
- Scholarships will range between $500 and $4,500.
- Checks will only be made payable to the recipient's school.
- Previous recipients of the Women's Board Scholarship may apply for subsequent awards. Scholarships may be awarded for a maximum of 4 years.
- Scholarship recipients attend the Annual Scholarship Luncheon in mid-June 2017.
Awarding Qualified Scholars for Over 50 Years
In 1957, the Jean Bird Scholarship Program was created, named after the wife of Dr. Jacob Wheeler Bird, the founder of Montgomery General Hospital, now known as MedStar Montgomery Medical Center. A memorial fund was established to provide scholarships to those interested in pursuing careers in the medical field. In 1969, the Women's Board assumed responsibility for the scholarship fund and has continued to award honorable students each year.
The 2016 Women’s Board Scholarship Program awarded $75,000 in scholarships to 55 qualified high school, undergraduate and graduate degree students in all areas of health care.
Congratulations to the 2016 Women’s Board Scholarship Award Recipients!
If you have any questions about the Scholarship Program, please feel free to contact The Scholarship Committee at WBScholarship@medstarmontgomery.org or leave a message at 301-774-8840.