History

Dr. Jacob Wheeler Bird arrived in Sandy Spring, Maryland in the 1910's with the dream of beginning his medical practice. He rented Wrenwood, a private home, which became his first hospital. In 1918, he broke ground for the new hospital which was to be the first acute care hospital in Montgomery County. The original hospital had 28 beds.

Other Important Dates in our History

2011 - 2012

  • Cardiology Associates joined as employees of MedStar Health on February 14, 2011 as Cardiology Associates, LLC. They have an office on the MedStar Montgomery Medical Center campus as well as 6 others.
  • Quality Improvement Award (Medicare Excellence) received May 2011 (2nd year)

 

2000 - 2010

  • Hospital receives American College of Cardiology Foundation's National Cardiovascular Data Registry Action "Get with the Guidelines Gold Performance Achievement Award for 2010 in August
  • Hospital hosts 90th Picnic & Bazaar July 27, 2010 raising $66K for hospital programs and scholarships
  • Hospital celebrates 90 years in the community
  • Reaccreditation of Stroke Center received May 3, 2010
  • Quality Improvement Award (Medicare Excellence) received May 2010
  • Partner for Change Award with Distinction received May 2010
  • 20,000 square foot state-of-the-art Howard E. Gudelsky Emergency Department opens in April 2010
  • Helipad opens in March 2010
  • EPA's Trailblazer award received November 2009
  • Joint Commission Accreditation received March 29, 2010
  • Cancer Center Certification with Commendation award received May 2008
  • Montgomery General and MedStar Health merge February 1, 2008
  • Cardiopulmonary and Rehabilitation Services areas are moved to new second floor wing above Emergency Department
  • State-of-the-art Samuel Riggs IV Critical Care Unit opens, occupying the entire north wing of the third floor
  • January 2001 sees the opening of the Helen P. Denit Center for Radiation Therapy
  • Medical Staff Services, Health Information Management Services and meeting space occupies the east second-floor addition
  • A new medical office building and 300-car parking deck opens

1990s

  • The Maternal Newborn Center is opened in 1994
  • Emergency facilities are enlarged 300%
  • A new surgical services area with seven operating suites is added
  • The hospital's Gift Shop and Lobby are refurbished
  • The Transitional Care Center opens in 1996
  • Montgomery General Hospital changes the name of the CMHC unit to Addiction and Mental Health Center (AMHC)

1980s

  • The Cancer Treatment Center established
  • MRI Center is built on campus
  • Angiography suite to treat cardiovascular disease is opened
  • Home Health and Personal Care Services is established

1970s

  • 14 volunteer ambulances from Montgomery and Howard Counties move 39 patients a few hundred yards from the old building to the new hospital
  • The MGH Health Foundation is established to oversee fundraising, gift and endowment stewardship, community benefits and outreach activities
  • The Community Mental Health Center (CMHC) unit opens using federally subsidized funds to complete the sixth floor for this unit

1960s

  • Planning begins for a brand-new hospital on Prince Philip Drive
  • Groundbreaking takes place for the new hospital

1950s

  • Dr. Bird is honored for a half century of service to the community
  • The old hospital building is expanded a final time
  • Dr. Bird and his wife die tragically in an automobile accident

1940s

  • A maternity wing is added to the hospital

1930s

  • It's discovered that just 15% of the hospital's patients came from a 5-mile radius
  • A new Nurse's Residence is built (today the Women's Board Thrift Shop)
  • The hospital is refurbished with private funds

1920s

  • Still unfinished, Montgomery General Hospital admits its first 5 patients during a blizzard and flu epidemic
  • Montgomery General admits 596 patients its first year
  • The First Hospital Supper establishes a fundraising tradition (now the Women's Board Annual Picnic & Bazaar the third Tuesday of each July)