At MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, our bariatric surgery team provides comprehensive weight loss care to patients from Montgomery County and the surrounding areas, close to home. Our team will help you determine if you are a good candidate for bariatric surgery. If you do move ahead with surgery, we will guide you through the process to help you understand what to expect, before and after surgery. We'll also assist in obtaining insurance approval.
Our bariatric program teams work with each patient to develop a weight loss strategy and choose the surgery that is right for them. Each recommendation is made on a case-by-case basis, with the patient's weight loss needs and their overall lifestyle in mind. As with any surgical procedure, potential risks and complications can occur with weight loss surgery. We're committed to providing you with the information you need to make a well-informed decision about your surgery.
We know that pursuing a surgical solution for weight loss is a serious decision and want to ensure that you are an ideal candidate for the surgery. This means you meet the following criteria:
- Have been overweight for at least two years
- Have seriously tried other diets
- Do not have untreated medical conditions that could be causing obesity
- Show evidence of weight loss in our preoperative weight management program
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of
- 35 or more with at least one weight-related medical condition
- 40 or more with no weight-related medical condition
- Are at least 18 years old
You must also commit to the following life style changes:
- Committed to a major lifestyle change
- Healthy enough to undergo a major operation
- Free from alcohol, tobacco, or substance abuse
Preparation for Consultation
In preparing for an appointment with the MedStar Montgomery Bariatric Surgery Team, be sure to
- Attend our information seminar. This is a free service and mandatory for those entering the program.
- Obtain a referral (if necessary) from your primary care physician.
- Bring your documentation. If you attended any weight management programs in the past two years, bring that documentation for your initial consultation.
Make an Appointment
For more information or to speak with a bariatric specialists, please call 301-774-8962.
Meet our Team
Our bariatric surgery team provides comprehensive weight loss care to patients and will guide you every step of the way. Learn more about their expertise:
Classes & Events
We offer numerous classes such as Bariatric Surgery Weight Management, Bariatric Exercise, Free Information Sessions, and Online Seminars. Learn more about the classes listed below and register now!
In the News
Patient Success Stories
"MedStar Montgomery Helped Me Lose 80 Pounds and Regain My Life" - Watch Carolyn's story along with other MedStar Montgomery patients.
Our Bariatrics Program
Don't weight, NOW is YOUR Time! Here, at MedStar Montgomery, we have put together a comprehensive weight loss surgery program.