Online Weight Loss Seminar
Now you can learn all about Bariatric Surgery at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center online. The online seminar covers the follow topics: criteria to qualify for weight loss surgery, efficacy of weight loss surgery, strategies for lifestyle changes, types of weight loss surgery, some of the Pros and Cons of each procedure, insurance company requirements, recovery from surgery, and next steps after seminar. Watch Now
Bariatric Pre-Surgery Weight Management Program (Six Classes)
This pre-surgery weight management program meets all the requirements for medically supervised weight loss of all insurance carriers. It will help you to learn about your pre and postsurgical care and help you to develop habits for long-term weight loss success.
Session Titles & Descriptions:
- Group Session A: Things to Know About Bariatric Surgery/9 Areas of Behavioral Change
An overview about the types of bariatric surgeries, possible post-operative complications. An overview about the 9 key areas of behavioral change (meal frequency, food volume/pacing, adequate fluid intake, adequate protein intake, vitamins/minerals, consumption of fruits/vegetables, whole grains, avoidance of sweets/high fat foods, compliance with an exercise regimen, support).
- Group Session B: Post-Operative Nutrition Needs (Protein, Fluid, Vitamins/Minerals)
An overview about the nutritional needs after surgery-including protein (importance, types, examples, quantity, how to incorporate in meals); Fluid (importance, types, examples, quantity, how to incorporate in meals); Vitamins/Minerals (importance, possible deficiencies, types, examples, quantity, frequency).
- Group Session C: Pre-Operative Diet/Post-Operative Diet Progression
An overview about the pre-operative diet before surgery (importance, type, sample meal plan, use of protein supplements, possible side-effects). An overview of about the post-operative diet progression after surgery (within each Stage 1A, 1B, 2, 3 explanation about foods to choose, foods to avoid, quantity, duration of each stage, tips adjusting to diet progression).
- Group Session D:Protein Supplementation/Calculating Intake
An overview about the importance of protein supplementation, quantity, guidelines on purchasing, types of protein supplementation (powders, ready-to-drink). An overview about reading food labels, what is on a food label, calculating protein intake (using food labels, sample meals), tips on increasing protein to meet calculated goal.
- Group Session E: Mindful Eating/Behavioral Modification/24-Hour Food Recall
An overview on tips of mindful eating, common food cues/triggers, how to avoid obstacles, tips on eating out, behavioral action plan, SMART goals, having a support system. An overview on evaluating your own food intake using what you ate in the past 24-hours (changes you can make, calculating intake, etc.)
- Group Session F: Meal Planning/Shopping Guide/Portion Control/Review
An overview on portion control, portion sizes, post-operative shopping guide within each stage (foods to choose, foods to avoid), meal planning for life, cooking tips, recipes, overview on sugar intake, vitamins/minerals found naturally in acceptable foods, sample meal plans, review.
Cost: $25 per class or a one-time fee of $140 for six classes.
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center • Friday Mornings & Wednesday Evenings • Register Now
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, in partnership with MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center, hosts these support groups at MedStar Health at Brandywine • Thursday Evenings • Register Now
Bariatric Exercise Program for Beginners (Four-Week Program)
Do you have a BMI over 30? We invite you to join MedStar Montgomery Medical Center’s Bariatric Exercise Program for Beginners. This four-week program is designed to help you overcome your weight loss obstacles in an environment with others who are on the same weight loss journey. The program will focus on helping you learn how to exercise and develop a regimen that includes endurance, resistance, and stretching exercises. By the end of the program, you will have improved confidence and developed partnerships with others to continue the fitness routines outside of the class.
Cost: The cost to participate in the four-week program is $80.
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center. Second Floor, Cardiac Rehab Gym. Room 2082. • Every Tuesday and Thursday • 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. • May 2 - May 25 • Registration Closed
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center. Second Floor, Cardiac Rehab Gym. Room 2082. • Every Tuesday and Thursday • 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. • June 6 – June 29. Register Now
Free Weight Loss Seminar
Our goal is to provide you the opportunity to learn about all of the tools, resources and support options available to those battling obesity. You’ll hear from expert bariatric surgeon, John Brebbia, MD, who will discuss the criteria needed to qualify for surgery, effectiveness of having surgery and strategies for lifestyle changes. You’ll also meet a nonsurgical weight loss physician, who will provide information on nonsurgical options, such as nutrition, exercise and weight loss medicine.
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center • First and Third Tuesday of the month • 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Register Now
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, in partnership with MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center, hosts these support groups at MedStar Health at Brandywine • First Monday of the month • 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Register Now
Free Weight Loss Support Group
This is a solid support system for long-term weight loss success. Meetings include open discussions about weight loss information and activities to promote a healthy lifestyle, discussions with health and weight loss professionals, and surgery-related issues for those who have had or are considering weight loss surgery.
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center • First Tuesday of the month • 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Register Now
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, in partnership with MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center, hosts these support groups at MedStar Health at Brandywine • First Monday of the month • 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Register Now
Make an Appointment
For more information or to speak with a bariatric specialists, please call 855-546-1948.
Meet our Team
Our bariatric surgery team provides comprehensive weight loss care to patients and will guide you every step of the way. Learn more about their expertise:
In the News
Patient Success Stories
"MedStar Montgomery Helped Me Lose 80 Pounds and Regain My Life" - Watch Carolyn's story along with other MedStar Montgomery patients.