At MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, our bariatric surgery team provides comprehensive weight loss care to patients from Montgomery County and the surrounding areas, close to home. Our team will help you determine if you are a good candidate for bariatric surgery. If you do move ahead with surgery, we will guide you through the process to help you understand what to expect, before and after surgery. We'll also assist in obtaining insurance approval.
Weight loss surgery is, in many ways, the beginning of a personal journey to health. To give patients the greatest change of succeeding, MedStar Montgomery's Bariatric Surgery Program offers a range of pre- and post-surgical support services.
Before being accepted into the program, patients receive nutrition counseling, psychiatric evaluation, and cardiopulmonary testing, where appropriate.
To help patients make the lifestyle changes they need to ensure long-term weight loss, the hospital offers a variety of post-surgical support services, including weight management education, nutrition counseling, cardiac risk reduction services, and a support group led by a health professional experienced in bariatric surgery.
Before your surgery, you will need to follow these guidelines:
- Receive preoperative tests and lab work ordered by your surgeon to clear you for surgery.
- Minimum of six months smoke free prior to surgery.
- Begin a calorie-controlled, high-protein diet two weeks prior to surgery.
- Stop taking aspirin or arthritis medications one week prior to surgery, as they interfere with the clotting of blood, vital for healing after surgery. Please consult your surgeon prior to any medication changes.
Your surgeon will discuss your individualized postoperative plan. This may include referrals to nutritionists, exercise programs, psychotherapists and/or support groups, and is essential for a successful outcome.
- Eating after surgery: Directly after surgery, will be on a strict liquid diet, transitioning to a soft and then regular diet, as instructed by your doctor. Moving to more solid food will be determined by your own individual progress. After surgery some patients may experience food intolerance and changes in gastrointestinal functions. MedStar Health nutritionists can guide you in planning the appropriate meals and diet.
- Other post-surgery concerns: After many months of losing weight, you may have excess skin. Once your weight has stabilized, you may wish to talk with your surgeon about undergoing plastic or cosmetic surgery.
Members of our bariatric team will be available to answer questions you have regarding:
- Navigating social activities (eating at restaurants, drinking alcohol)
- Physical activity and exercise
- Plastic surgery
- Returning to work
- Weight loss plateaus
Make an Appointment
For more information or to speak with a bariatric specialists, please call 301-774-8828.
Meet our Team
Our bariatric surgery team provides comprehensive weight loss care to patients and will guide you every step of the way. Learn more about their expertise:
Classes & Events
We offer numerous classessuch as Bariatric Surgery Weight Management, Bariatric Exercise, Free Information Sessions, and Online Seminars. Learn more about the classes listed below and register now!
In the News
Patient Success Stories
"MedStar Montgomery Helped Me Lose 80 Pounds and Regain My Life" - Watch Carolyn's story along with other MedStar Montgomery patients.