Addiction and Mental Health Treatment at MedStar Montgomery
The Addiction and Mental Health Center (AMHC) is an integral component of MedStar Montgomery Medical Center and has earned a reputation of excellence over the past 40 years in the delivery of a broad range of fully integrated inpatient, outpatient, crisis, community education and outreach programs.
The AMHC provides behavioral health services to a culturally diverse client population, including those 13 years of age and older. Professionals trained in dealing with these populations meet the special needs of adolescents, adults and older adults. In order to provide the best possible client care, we have developed collaborative relationships with many other service providers and community professionals.
- Inpatient Mental Health: Provides comprehensive mental health care for those ages 13 years and older who are in need of short-term crisis stabilization services.
- Partial Hospitalization Program: Provides a group-oriented, six-hour day program for those 18 years and older who are having mood and thought disorders, but who do not require inpatient care. Meets five days a week.
- Adult Intensive Outpatient Program: Provides a therapeutic and education group program for individuals 18 to 64 years old. Meets three times a week.
- Senior Outpatient Program: A therapeutic and education group program for adults 65 and older experiencing mood, thought and anxiety disorders. Meets up to three days a week.
- Adolescent Outpatient Program: Open-ended, group-oriented after school treatment for adolescents ages 13 to 18 with emotional and/or behavioral problems. Depression, substance abuse, truancy, defiance and legal problems are among the issues addressed.
- Dual Diagnosis Intensive Outpatient Program: Outpatient group program specifically designed for adults who have been diagnosed as having a psychiatric disorder and a substance dependence. Meets three days a week.
- Medication Management: This 15 to 20 minute outpatient psychiatrist visit allows individuals with a history of mental health treatment to continue psychiatric medications. Involvement in another program may be recommended.
- Outpatient Mental Health Group Therapy: Weekly adult or women’s group therapy.
- Inpatient Medical Detoxification: Patients requesting detoxification services are evaluated in our Emergency department. Patients meeting medical criteria are admitted to our inpatient unit for the safe management of their withdrawal from alcohol and other substances.
- Addiction Partial Hospitalization Program: This is a step-down program for those who have completed the Inpatient Medical Detoxification service. Provides group-oriented, structured day program seven days a week.
- Outpatient Addiction Treatment Service (OATS): Our intensive outpatient program offers treatment to those suffering from addictions. Patients remain in their communities and are able to work and continue their usual activities. Meets three evenings a week.
- Relapse Prevention Program: This program is a step-down service that patients may attend after completing an intensive outpatient addiction program, such as OATS. The program provides additional support and education to help patients maintain abstinence. Meets two evenings a week.
The Crisis Evaluation Unit (CEU) is a unique Emergency department (ED) program being offered by MedStar Montgomery in conjunction with its Addiction and Mental Health Center. The program combines both medical and behavioral health expertise and experience, and provides services to patients experiencing an emotional/behavioral and drug/alcohol crisis. The CEU is a separate area in the ED designed with patient privacy and safety in mind. The CEU is staffed by nurses with specialized training and experience in both behavioral health and emergency nursing.
Behavioral Health Assessment Services
Provides assessments 24-hours a day in the Emergency department. For information and referral, call 301-774-8888.
Point of entry to AMHC outpatient services. Provides non-emergency outpatient appointments Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. by calling 855-546-1977.