Blood cancers harm the production and function of blood cells — the cells that carry oxygen, stop bleeding and fight infection and disease. Blood cancers like leukemia and multiple myeloma start in the bone marrow, the spongy material inside some bones where blood cells normally develop. But lymphoma, another type, forms in the lymph nodes and other parts of the lymph system.
Blood cancers remain a challenging group of diseases, with many types and subtypes. But we’ve made great strides in diagnosis and treatment, with additional, promising therapies on the way.
Blood Cancer Care at MedStar Montgomery
We welcome the chance to provide an initial diagnosis or a second opinion. Our program features expertise and experience, the latest treatments, and additional support.
Expertise and Experience
Our program features top hematologist-oncologists and other specialists, diagnosing and treating one of the largest volumes of patients in the area and serving as a regional referral center. In addition to clinical care, many of our specialists conduct research and have published on blood cancer. Collectively, they work together to provide a collaborative approach. Our team includes:
- Nuclear medicine specialists
- Radiation Oncologists
Our treatments are research-backed and individualized, with the latest approaches for chemotherapy and radiation and a full range of newer targeted therapies. We also take part in some of the most promising research and clinical trials in the nation and offer the region’s largest stem cell transplant program.
In addition to primary treatments, we provide a full range of supportive care:
- Rehab (learn more about our cancer rehab)
- Emotional and social counseling
- Spiritual care
- Complementary care, including reiki massage, tai chi and assistance with smoking cessation
Make an Appointment
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a cancer care specialist, call 855-546-1944.
Meet Our Cancer Care Specialists
- Asma Dilawari, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Luther Ampey III, MD - Radiation Oncology
- John Marshall, MD - Medical Oncology
- Catherine Broome, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Michael Pishvaian, MD - Medical Oncology
- Nancy Dawson, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Stephen Liu, MD - Hematology, Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology