Liver cancer is one of the most common malignancies worldwide, affecting nearly one million individuals. The most common cancer that begins in the liver is called hepatocellular carcinoma; this is associated with several chronic liver diseases, including alcoholic cirrhosis, chronic Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C. Certain metabolic conditions are also associated with HCC, including hemochromatosis, autoimmune hepatitis, and PBC.
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal mass
- Other indications of liver dysfunction
Physicians at MedStar Montgomery may use a series of physical, laboratory, and imaging tests to uncover liver cancer, but the final diagnosis is often confirmed via needle biopsy, which is the removal and examination of a small piece of the suspected tumor.
Liver tumors may be benign or malignant, but most require surgical removal. MedStar Health physicians work closely with patients to develop the best treatment plan for their specific case, which may include the following
- Ablation: This procedure involves destroying the liver tumor and the cancer cells with high levels of heat aimed at the tumor. It has minimal side effects.
- Radiofrequency ablation (RFA): This technique uses a heating probe to destroy tumors with an alternating radiofrequency electrical current. It can be performed during open surgery, laparoscopy, or through the skin using X-ray.
- Microwave ablation: This technique is similar to radiofrequency ablation, but uses microwave energy to destroy the tumor instead.
- Resection: Portions of the liver are surgically removed (the liver quickly regenerates, or grows back, to normal size, after this procedure). This can also be performed laparoscopically
- Radiation therapy
- Liver transplant
Make an Appointment
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a cancer care specialist, call 855-546-1944.
Ways to Help
Meet Our Cancer Care Specialists
- Solaiman Futuri, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Luther Ampey III, MD - Radiation Oncology
- John Marshall, MD - Medical Oncology
- Catherine Broome, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Michael Pishvaian, MD - Medical Oncology
- Nancy Dawson, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
Cancer Treatment Clinical Trials
Putting research to the test through this new partnership, our patients have access to cutting-edge technology and novel therapeutics that hold promise for the advancement of medicine and patient care. We provide seamless, coordinated care for our patients who choose to participate in one or more cancer treatment studies. Learn more about clinical trials available through the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.