Merkel cells make up one of the skin’s top layers. Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare type of cancer that affects these skin cells. It generally affects parts of the skin exposed to the sun, including the limbs, head, and neck.
Merkel Cell Carcinoma Care
We offer the expertise and compassionate care you need to manage Merkel cell carcinoma.
All of the surgical oncologists on our team have years of specialized training and experience treating people with cancer. We take a multidisciplinary approach to your care, collaborating with specialists in many fields to find the best solutions for you. Our care is driven by the latest research advances, and offers you access to the most advanced cancer clinical trials.
Merkel Cell Carcinoma Risk Factors
Risk factors make it more likely that you will develop a disease. The risk factors for Merkel cell carcinoma include:
- Heavy exposure to sunlight
- Heavy exposure to artificial light, including tanning beds
- Diseases that affect your immune system, like HIV
- Taking medication that suppresses your immune system
Merkel Cell Carcinoma Symptoms
The symptoms of Merkel cell carcinoma may be similar to the symptoms for other problems. Make sure to talk with a doctor if you notice a lump that:
- Appears on parts of the skin exposed to the sun such as the head, neck, arms, and legs
- Does not hurt
- Grows quickly
- Is red or purplish
Make an Appointment
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a cancer care specialist, call 855-546-1944.
Ways to Help
Meet Our Cancer Care Specialists
- Asma Dilawari, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Solaiman Futuri, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Luther Ampey III, MD - Radiation Oncology
- John Marshall, MD - Medical Oncology
- Catherine Broome, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Michael Pishvaian, MD - Medical Oncology
- Nancy Dawson, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
Cancer Treatment Clinical Trials
Putting research to the test through this new partnership, our patients have access to cutting-edge technology and novel therapeutics that hold promise for the advancement of medicine and patient care. We provide seamless, coordinated care for our patients who choose to participate in one or more cancer treatment studies. Learn more about clinical trials available through the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.