Sarcomas are cancerous tumors that start in bone or soft tissue, such as muscles, fat, or nerves. Though they are rare, and some types are more common at certain ages, sarcomas can affect children, teens and adults.
At MedStar Montgomery, we have the advanced tools and specialized expertise to successfully treat sarcomas, developing individualized treatment plans targeting each cancer’s unique pathology. In many cases, that means surgery, with our doctors offering limb-sparing operations and the latest implants to restore function and appearance.
We know a cancer diagnosis can cause anxiety and fear, but our team is ready to answer all questions and offer a full range of support for you and your family. We welcome the chance to provide an initial diagnosis or a second opinion.
Because sarcomas are rare and complex, the best care comes from experienced doctors offering sophisticated and highly specialized services, not something every hospital can provide. Our program offers:
- Renowned Surgeons: Our innovative surgeons are able to perform minimally invasive biopsies. They have a 98 percent success rate with limb-sparing operations for sarcomas found in the arms or legs. And they get referrals from around the country and world for complex cases, and see patients who were treated at other centers but then need more care.
- Top Outcomes: Patients come to us from around the country and the world, knowing that we can reduce the chance that cancer will return (recur) and provide safe and effective treatment while still preserving limb function and body appearance.
- Expertise: Our Sarcoma Program centers around a partnership between the Washington Cancer Institute and Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, combining the strengths of two prestigious institutions. Together we provide musculoskeletal surgical consultations to the National Institutes of Health and the surgery and pediatric oncology branches of the National Cancer Institute.
- Pediatric Care: Younger patients with sarcoma are treated at our specialized pediatric cancer center. Learn more about our pediatric cancer care.
- Research and Clinical Studies: Our doctors are conducting clinical research in many areas of sarcoma treatment, as well as in supportive care. That means access to promising clinical trials not always available elsewhere.
- Team Approach: In addition to our surgeons, our pathologists focus on musculoskeletal disease—an unusual specialty—and our radiologists focus on orthopedics. They are joined by other specialists at regular tumor boards to discuss new patients and create comprehensive, individualized treatment plans. Our team includes:
- Medical oncologists
- Orthopedic oncologists/surgeons
- Pain management specialists
- Pediatric oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
For particularly complex cases, our sarcoma team has access to a range of other top MedStar Georgetown Cancer Institute specialists at MedStar Montgomery:
- General surgeons
- Microvascular surgeons
- Plastic surgeons
- Spine surgeons
- Vascular surgeons
Make an Appointment
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a cancer care specialist, call 301-774-8962.
Ways to Help
Meet Our Cancer Care Specialists
- Solaiman Futuri, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Luther Ampey III, MD - Radiation Oncology
- John Marshall, MD - Medical Oncology
- Catherine Broome, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Michael Pishvaian, MD - Medical Oncology
- Nancy Dawson, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
Cancer Treatment Clinical Trials
Putting research to the test through this new partnership, our patients have access to cutting-edge technology and novel therapeutics that hold promise for the advancement of medicine and patient care. We provide seamless, coordinated care for our patients who choose to participate in one or more cancer treatment studies. Learn more about clinical trials available through the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.