Breast Cancer Care
MedStar Montgomery Medical Center offers comprehensive, compassionate, high quality, breast cancer treatment, support, rehabilitation and follow-up services in collaboration with other MedStar Health locations. With new medical and surgical breast cancer treatments, women who develop the disease are leading longer, fuller and healthier lives than ever before. Breast Cancer treatments are also becoming less invasive, more targeted and more personalized, providing even more hope. Our approach reflects the latest research and best practices.
Studies show that patients operated on by specialized surgeons get better results. With the MedStar Breast Health Program, all surgeons are board-certified, and many are fellowship-trained and focused exclusively on breast cancer treatment. MedStar Montgomery has been accredited with commendations by the Commission on Cancer as a Community Cancer Program for more than 25 years. Top cancer and breast cancer treatment specialists from both MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center regularly see patients at MedStar Montgomery to improve patient convenience.
Deciding on surgery is often difficult and emotional, and our doctors take the time to help you make sense of all the considerations, including physical health, appearance, and psychological and social concerns. When surgery is recommended, we consult the latest research findings to ensure the best breast cancer treatments. Our program offers:
- Team Approach: Our breast surgeons remove tumors and partner closely with skilled plastic surgeons for reconstruction when needed. All patients have the option to meet with a plastic surgeon beforehand to discuss the wide array of reconstruction options.
- Innovation and Experience: We use the latest methods available, including breast-conserving approaches. Our surgeons are leaders in the field of nipple-and skin-sparing mastectomy. They also work to minimize scarring while ensuring the cancer is removed.
Learn more about our breast cancer treatments:
- Breast cancer surgery - including breast-conserving and nipple- and skin-sparing procedures
- Breast cancer chemotherapy - including chemoprevention for high-risk patients
- Breast cancer radiation therapy - including single-dose, intraoperative radiation therapy, or IORT
- Targeted therapies for breast cancer - including the latest advances against breast cancer
- Breast endocrine (hormone) therapy - including estrogen blockers
Make an Appointment
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a cancer care specialist, call 301-774-8697.
Ways to Help
Meet Our Cancer Care Specialists
- Behzad Doratotaj, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
- Luther Ampey III, MD - Radiation Oncology
- Nancy Dawson, MD - Hematology, Medical Oncology
Cancer Treatment Clinical Trials
Putting research to the test through this new partnership, our patients have access to cutting-edge technology and novel therapeutics that hold promise for the advancement of medicine and patient care. We provide seamless, coordinated care for our patients who choose to participate in one or more cancer treatment studies. Learn more about clinical trials available through the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.