We Care for the Individual Needs of Our Patients
The Shirley A. Smith Infusion Center strives to make time spent here as convenient as possible for patients by offering flexible scheduling. Depending on each of the patients’ medical needs, treatment times range from 15 minutes to 8 hours. The infusion center is staffed with specially trained registered nurses who are both certified in oncology nursing. They are also in the administration of chemotherapy, averaging greater than 20 years’ nursing experience. This enables them to anticipate the special needs of the infusion and/or oncology patient. They work closely with physicians toward continuity of care.
The patient and their support person receive:
- Personalized information and printed materials on treatment(s). These include symptom and side effect prevention and management
- A printed follow-up plan for each visit
- Access to free support and patient resource information from our Cancer Care Navigator and Oncology Certified RNs
- Access to volunteers who complement the nursing staff in closely attending to the patients’ needs
From its ergonomic chairs to adjacent healing garden, the center offers a range of amenities that ensure the utmost comfort and care of patients. The center is decorated in warm, comforting earth tones – an environment reminiscent of home. Also, patients will have the option of receiving infusion therapy outdoors in the connecting healing garden. To help pass the time while receiving treatment, the center offers cable TVs, a VCR/DVD option, warm blankets, complimentary light lunches and beverages. On-site parking is free.
1. Infusion center staff obtain patient demographics, clinical information and completed orders from the referring physician.
2. Staff confirm insurance information and authorization for services.
3. Staff contact the patient to schedule appointment within three (3) days.
Infusion center services include the following:
- Blood and blood product transfusions
- Difficult IV starts
- Dressing changes of central lines, PICC lines and midlines
- IV therapy of all types with prior approval, including but not limited to:
- Antibiotic therapy
- Remicade® infusion
- Iron infusion
- Bisphophonates (Zometa®/Reclast®)
- Lab draws from central lines and implanted ports
- Cortisol-stimulation timed testsParacentesis pre- and post-albumin replacement
- Port access and maintenance
- PICC line removal (by appointment)
We offer a full spectrum of care for ambulatory, self-care patients who may not require hospitalization or may not be receiving home care because of insurance constraints. We also offer services to patients who may wish to receive treatment in a comfortable, private setting. In addition to those who may require hypersensitivity/reaction monitoring and emergent intervention support services.
Please contact us today to find out more about our services and how to schedule an appointment by calling 301-774-8760.
The Shirley A. Smith Infusion Center at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center is located next to the Center for Radiation Oncology.
Hours of operation are:
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.