Rehabilitation is a key component of the treatment plan for patients recovering from neurological disease or trauma. Our dedicated team of professionals is experienced in working with patients recovering from a wide variety of medical conditions, including stroke, brain trauma, spinal cord injury/disease, neuromuscular disease and movement disorders. The primary goal of neurological rehabilitation is to help patients attain the highest level of independent functioning by preventing complications and reducing disability.
Based on a clinical assessment of the patient, a customized rehabilitation treatment plan is developed and may include the following:
- Training in activities of daily living such as eating, dressing, bathing, using the toilet, cooking, and basic home management
- Speech therapy
- Activities to improve/regain muscle control in the upper and lower extremities, and trunk
- Exercise to improve range of motion, flexibility, and strength
- Gait and balance retraining
- Activities to improve cognitive impairments, such as difficulties with concentration, attention, memory, and judgment
- Education regarding the disability and rehabilitation process
Spinal Cord Rehabilitation
The unique spine care program at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center features talented physical therapists working closely with a variety of physicians to obtain the best outcome for conservative treatment. Our therapists are continually enhancing their knowledge with up-to-date techniques regarding back and neck care; they are dedicated to returning patients to the community and employment and preventing long-term problems associated with spinal cord injury/disease. Depending on the patient's needs and goals, treatment may include occupational therapy, physical therapy, rehabilitation engineering, speech-language pathology, therapeutic recreation, and vocational rehabilitation.