Realizing the Vision of our Founder, Dr. Jacob Bird
Since 1920, Dr. Jacob Wheeler Bird recognized the need to encourage the community to support the hospital's growth in specialized care, state of the art technology and physician training and development. To help continue his vision of philanthropic giving, the Montgomery General Hospital Health Foundation, Inc. was formed in 1980. Since then, the Foundation has helped raised funds to better the growth of our hospital and community.
The Philanthropic Timeline
- The Helen P. Denit Cancer Treatment Center is established.
- The Howard R. Gudelsky Emergency Room was expanded by 300%.
- In 1994, the Maternal Newborn Center opened.
- The Helen P. Denit Center for Radiation Therapy began treating patients.
- The Samuel Riggs IV Critical Care Unit opened.
- The Dr. M. McKendree Boyer Community Learning Center opened.
- The Pediatric Emergency Department is opened for observation and inpatient care, funded by the Women's Board of MGH.
- Our Rooms of the Future program began. These rooms are private and can be designated in memory or tribute of a loved one.
- The Comprehensive Cancer Center opened; in 2006 the Cardiac and Vascular Laboratory opened, making the hospital a destination for patients with cardiac and peripheral vascular disease.
- The Cardiac and Vascular Laboratory opened thanks to the Women's Board of MGH generous commitment of $1 million. It was upgraded to better care for patients with cardiac and peripheral vascular disease.
- The Capital Campaign, Building Expansion Project began to raise funds for a new cafeteria.
- The hospital broke ground on a new and expanded Emergency Department, Patient Tower and upgrade of outpatient treatment facilities.
A new Helipad is opened for easier access to the Emergency Department for critical emergency patients
- Outpatient Oncology Services Infusion Therapy Center was opened along with the L. Wilson Howes Healing Garden.
- In March, the new Howard R. Gudelsky Emergency Department opened with 41 beds.
- The new Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Center and Cardiopulmonary Services opened on the second floor.
- A new Cafeteria opened with expanded food services and increased capacity.
- The da Vinci Surgical System became available at the hospital thanks to a generous $1.75 million pledge by the Women's Board of MGH. The da Vinci turns extremely complicated procedures into less invasive surgeries, requiring only a few small incisions.
- Kicked off our first "Associate Annual Giving Campaign" to encourage associates to give back to the hospital.
Learn about the history of MedStar Montgomery Medical Center since its inception in 1918.
If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation to MGH Health Foundation, please click here. If you have any questions, please contact us at 301-774-8777 or at [email protected].